|"Giving girls a chance to fly"
|During November, athletes are invited to open gym. During gym time,
potential players are provided time to show their skills and learn about
the opportunity to play club volleyball at the Junior Olympic level.
During try outs, girls are assessed for skill level and abilities. We strive
to make sure we provide our girls with experiences that are positive,
enriching, and focused on personal growth - both on and off the court.
Specific try out times can be found by accessing the team calendar at
the bottom of this page.
The club fees help to cover the cost of registration, potential housing
costs, tournament fees, and player equipment.
Starlings teams will be composed of up to 10 athletes, with the option of having up to two practice
players. Players will travel/compete depending on teamwork, attendance, and academics. Practice
will begin in November and, depending on the number of coaches and practice sites, teams will be
organized. The 2017 -18 season runs from November though June and we encourage teamwork,
positive life skills, and academic achievement.
Age divisions for Starlings teams this season are as follows:
15/16's Team Practices will be Tuesday's and Thursday's 7:00 - 8:30pm
Players who were born on or after September 1, 2002
13/14's Team Practices will be Tuesday's & Thursday's 5:30 - 7:00pm
Players who were born on or after September 1, 2004
Competitive Team – Competitive teams participate in a full NCVA Area League season in
addition to several special extended day tournaments.
Practice Players – Practice players will participate in practices with the rest of the Starlings
but will not participate in NCVA tournaments. If practice players commit to the program for
the entire season they WILL have the opportunity to raise additional funds to travel to San
Diego and PLAY in our Nationals tournament in June.
Depending on availability of practice space, total practice time for athletes amounts to 2 practices
per week. Beginning in January there will be 1-2 tournaments per month which are played on
Saturdays and Sundays from 8 am - 5 pm. Parents are expected to provide transportation or
coordinate carpools to and from tournaments and practices. If a parent is unable to drive, they will
be expected to assist with providing snacks, refreshments and fruit for the team during the matches
that day. Tournament locations are announced 5-7 days before the tournament date and are subject
Starlings STARkids Program - Our STARkids program is for BOYS and
GIRLS 12 and under and is something unique to the Starlings program.
The goal is to introduce the sport in a fun and engaging way to help
encourage the athlete and develop their confidence as well as their skills
at the sport. These programs run during Winter, Spring & Summer ...
Keep checking the website for current program information. *Must talk to
Director for 6 & 7 year olds.
NOTE: The formation of teams and practice schedule will depend on the number of coaches,
players, and court facilities we can acquire and maintain. There are no expressed or implied
guarantees to playing time or placement on a specific team.
All teams conclude the season in June. Teams that wish to be considered for the Starlings
Nationals will need to do special fund raising to be eligible. Nationals is when Starlings
teams from all over the nation come together for a four day volleyball tournament. Our goal is
to raise enough funds to cover the transportation & lodging for San Diego and hope to not
expect any additional cost to the players or parents.
Because Starlings is the only college prep volleyball club in the area, all athletes must abide
by the following academic requirements throughout the season:
- All players will submit progress checks to clear eligibility on a quarterly basis or as needed.
- Students will be required to maintain a 2.75 GPA or they will be required to participate in a
tutorial/study hall program offered at their school on non-practice days; playing time may be effected.
- Students must maintain their attendance & be clear of any unexcused absences & excessive tardies.
- Students are encouraged ask to be moved to the front of their classes.
- Local students must be part of a 7th period/after school program at their school site on practice days.
- Students must begin to think about what they want to do after high school.
- Students will receive an academic plan that will help them stay focused during the school year and
beyond. The plan will be followed while you are a Starling Athlete.
- Any athlete interested in playing volleyball when they attend college MUST NOTIFY the program
director immediately so you can begin your personalized recruitment plan... It is never to early to dream!
|Starlings Scholar Athletes
|About the Director/Head Coach...
- 15 years volleyball experience with various clubs and organizations.
- 1st place in San Diego Juegos Para La Gente Tournament
- 9 years coaching high school & club level volleyball
- 2005 Freshman Volleyball Team 8 - 2
- 2006 Freshman Volleyball Team 10 - 0
- 2007 Junior Varsity Volleyball Team 13 - 3
- 2008 Varsity Head Coach 10 - 8; 1st varsity team victories in the schools short 4 year history.
- 2009 Starlings 17's Gold medal Silver Division (8rd place out of 46 teams Nation wide)
- 2009 Varsity Head Coach 23 - 9; Monterey Bay League Champions
- 2009 Monterey Bay League Coach of The Year
- 2010 Starlings 18's Bronze Medal Gold Division (3rd place out of 30 teams Nation wide)
- 2011 Starlings 16's Bronze Medal Silver Division (11th place out of 39 teams Nation wide)
- 2012 Starlings 17's Sixteenth place our of Thirty-Two teams Nation wide
- 2013 Starlings 18's Silver medal Bronze (14 place out of 39 teams Nation wide.)
- 2014 Marina High School, Varsity Volleyball Coach
- 2015 Marina High School, Varsity Volleyball Coach
- 2016 Marina High School, Varsity Volleyball Coach
- 2017 Starlings 16's NCVA Silver Division Champions; Starlings National Championships 3rd Silver Division
- 2017 Starlings 12's NCVA 10th place Gold Division; Starlings National Championships 3rd Gold Division
- 2017 San Jose High School Junior Varsity Coach
- Bachelors of Arts, Psychology and Human Development UC Santa Cruz
- Counseling Degree, San Jose State University
- Teaching Credential: Multiple Subject, CSU Monterey Bay
- 2 years as Educational Director for Boys & Girls Club, Santa Cruz
- 8 years as Outreach Counselor/ Admissions Officer for University of California, Santa Cruz
- 5 years as academic high school counselor, Watsonville, CA
- Currently Middle School Counselor at Monroe Middle School, Campbell CA
|2018 - 2019 Starlings Schedule
TBA in November